10-14 August 2014
- Sunday, 10 August 2014 – Training (Optional) and pre-event skipper briefing (Mandatory)
- Monday, 11 August 2014 – 1st Round Preliminaries (3 races)
- Tuesday, 12 August 2014 – 2nd Round Preliminaries (3 races)
- Wednesday, 13 August 2014 – 3rd Round Preliminaries (3 races)
- Thursday, 14 August 2014 – Finals (3 races min)
- Friday, 15 August, 2014 – Finals (weather day)
The race headquarters and hosts for this event will be Edgewater Yacht Club located approximately 1.5 miles west of downtown with direct access to Lake Erie. The Regatta at the Gay Games in Cleveland will be hosted by the Edgewater Yacht Club (EYC)
EYC is located on Lake Erie adjacent to the 117-acre Cleveland Lakefront State Park, at the western end of the 5 mile-long main harbor and is only minutes to the city’s most popular points of interest by land or water.
EYC was chartered in 1914 as a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the sport of boating. EYC is a member of the US Sailing Association (USSA), Inter-Lake Yachting Association (I-LYA), Cleveland Sailing Association (CSA), and the Greater Cleveland Boating Association (GCBA). The Club’s diverse group of members and the pleasant atmosphere contribute to its reputation as “the friendliest club on the lake”.
The cost of the regatta is $280 per person. This will include the boat, insurance and all equipment. Buoyancy Aids (PFDs) will be available for rental if required. Transport to the venue and refreshments not included.
The Notice of Race has been issued for this event and can be found here.
A mandatory skipper’s event briefing will be held on Sunday 10th of August at Edgewater Yacht club at 1400.
Gay Games 9 will offer the following divisions of competition:
- Competitive – for teams with competitive Regatta/Sailing experience
- Recreational– for teams who want to enjoy the regatta but have little racing experience.
Gay Games 9 will offer the following classes of boats for participants:
- Spinnaker Class(Competitive Division)
- Non-Spinnaker Class(Recreational Division)
To maximize the number of races, Gay Games 9 will offer a series of short races for competition consisting of heats and a final. There are no discards.
- Participant – A member of a team, either skipper or crew
- Team – One skipper and three crew, for total of 4 participants per boat
- Team Organiser – responsible for team membership for an individual boat
- Skipper – responsible for what happens on the boat during the regatta
- Crew – a member of the team who takes direction from the skipper during the regatta
- Waitlist Member – A potential member of a team who has not been allocated to a team.
Once a participant has registered there is no refund. Team Organisers are encouraged to sign up complete teams of three to four. Once the registration capacity has been reached, teams consisting of less than three to four will be notified and given four weeks to complete their team from the remaining registered participants. After four weeks, any remaining participants will be assigned a team. Team Organisers will designate their skipper after their team is complete. Team Organisers and crew are encouraged to use CrewFinder at www.glorysailing.org.
At the time of registration, Team Organisers will need to fill their teams, then declare their Skipper for the team. Skippers should hold a valid sailing license (where issued by a national sailing authority recognized by the ISAF) or provide documentation of adequate racing experience. The decision to approve qualified skippers will be the sole responsibility of the GG9 Sailing Event Committee and cannot be protested.
- Teams may be comprised of participants of any gender.
- Teams will be made up of one skipper and 3 crew for both divisions (crew members must remain the same for all of the races unless the race organiser approves a substitution).
- Medals will be awarded to the top three teams in each division. Other prizes will be awarded at the discretion of Gay and Lesbian Organization for Racing and Yachting (GLORY).
The Sailing Competition will be conducted under the direction of Edgewater Yacht Club, with the assistance of the Gay and Lesbian Organization for Racing and Yachting (GLORY), using the Racing Rules of Sailing issued by the International Sailing Federation (ISAF).
The preliminary series will consist of a minimum of three (3) races. The top 10 finishers in each division will move onto the finals, also consisting of a minimum of three (3) races.
The number of participants are limited to the number boats obtained for the event. If that number is exceeded, then a wait list will be introduced to replace any participant that drops out prior to the event. Participants who are unable to register will need to contact GLORY, firstname.lastname@example.org, to be placed on the wait list.
Gay Games 9 does not allow for refunds if a participant cancels. The canceling participant must contact GLORY to see if there is anyone on the waitlist and coordinate participant-to-participant to exchange funds.
Partial crews can register as a team and fill in participant names as they become finalized. Participants can also register without being on a team and coordinating with skippers to find their placement. Substitutions of crew will be allowed prior to the first race scheduled for Monday morning. Swapping of crew will also be allowed prior to the first race as long as the Skipper of each boat agrees.
If you are a skipper looking for crew or crew looking for a skipper, you can use the CrewFinder at www.glorysailing.org to complete your team.
Tartan Marine Company will supply Gay Games 9 with 20 new 26-foot One Design yachts for the sailing regatta. This is a new design based on the Tartan Fantail.
Detailed plans and specs of the boats are due on or before May 1 2013.
Volunteers will be required to help run the event on shore. Please complete the volunteer registration form, here, if you are interested.
All information is subject to change. Please continue to check this web page and the Gay Games 9 website for updated information about your event and Gay Games 9. If you have any questions, please contact Gay Games 9 at email@example.com or GLORY at firstname.lastname@example.org.